Apple Pear Cake
Packed light brown sugar
Lowfat buttermilk *
* Or you can use 3/4 cup regular milk and 1 T vinegar to make sour
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a 9 1/2 inch tube pan with
2. In a large bowl, cream the margarine with the brown sugar. Beat
in the egg and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda
and salt. Stir to blend. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Finely chop the apples, and mince the dried pears.
5. Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk to the butter-sugar
mixture in three additions, beating just until the flour is no longer
visible. Stir in the apples and pears.
6. Scrape the batter into the tube pan and bake for 40 min., or until
golden brown and tests clean.
7. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmold the cake
and cool completely. Dust cake with confectioners sugar just before
Serving size: one 2 1/4 inch wedge.
Per serving: each provides 1 fat, 1 bread, 1/4 fruit, 60 optional
Calories per serving: 207
Note: If you don't have any dried pears, you can substitute raisins
are just as good!