Apple Upside Down Cake
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Sift together flour, spices and baking soda.
3. In a 10 " cast iron skillet, melt the butter.
4. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over it.
5. Peel and core apples, slice them.
6. Arrange apples, overlapping on top of sugar.
7. With electric mixer at medium speed, beat together the
shortening, sugar and the egg until very creamy.
8. Combine the molasses and the water
9. At low speed add the flour and molasses mix alternating to the to
eggmix. Beat well after each addition.
10. Spoon batter over apples and bake 45 minutes or until done.
11. Loosen around the edges with spatula; invert onto plate;
let stand 3-4 minutes, then remove from skillet.
12. Serve warm with soft ginger ice cream.