Banana Nut Cake (Without Flour)
Author/Submitted by: Ana Kurland <Ana.Kurland@CONST.LOC.GOV>
Grated Lemon Peel
1. preheat oven to 350 ? F. Lightly grease a 10 by 3 &1/2 in. tube pan or
10-in. springform pan with vegetable oil and dust with a few tbsp of the
ground almonds. make sure all surface is coated.
2. beat yolks until they are thick and pale in color, about 3 min. Add
sugar and lemon juice and beat for 5 min. or until mix makes ribbons
when beaters are lifted.
3. stir in bananas, salt, lemon peel, and almonds. Sift in potato starch.
Beat 1-2 min.
4. beat egg whites to soft peaks. Stir 1/4 of them into batter until no
trace of white remains. gently fold remaining whites into batter.
5. pour mix into pan to 1/2 in of top. smooth top. bake 30-40 min, or until
skewer or knife comes out clean. let cake cool completely (it will sink.)
run a knife thru the edge to loosen, and release carefully.
from "The Passover Table" by Susan R. Friedland