Reduced-fat baking & pancake
-mix with buttermilk
Low-fat milk (1%)
Light corn-oil spread
(9-oz) container lightfrozen
Whipped topping, thawed
ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS BEFORE SERVING:
1. Preheat oven to 425'F. Spray 11" by 7" metal baking pan with
nonstick cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, with fork, mix baking mix with milk, light corn-oil
spread, and 1/3 C sugar just until blended; spoon batter into pan;
sprinkle with 2 t sugar. Bake shortcake 15 to 20 minutes until top is
golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of shortcake comes out
clean. Cool shortcake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from
pan; cool completely on rack.
3. Meanwhile, reserve several strawberries for garnish. In large
bowl, with potato masher or fork, mash half of strawberries. Slice
remaining strawberries. Toss sliced strawberries and mashed
strawberries together with 3 T sugar. Thinly slice 2 bananas; gently
stir into strawberry mixture.
4. With serrated knife, slice shortcake horizontally in half. Place
bottom half of shortcake on platter; top with strawberry-banana
mixture. Spread with 2 C whipped topping; replace top of shortcake.
5. Spread remaining whipped topping over top of shortcake to within 1
1/2 inches of edge. Slice remaining banana; use to garnish top of
short- cake along with reserved whole strawberries.
6. To serve, with serrated knife, cut shortcake into 8 pieces.
Each serving: About 385 calories, 1 1 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 550 mg
Good Housekeeping/May'94/scanned & fixed by DP & GG Submitted By
MICHELLE BRUCE On 05-18-95 (2257)