Black Walnut Chocolate Cake
Hot, strong, Coffee
White Wine Vinegar
Chopped, Black Walnuts
Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate
Solid, Vegetable Shortening
PREP. TIME: 10 min. OVEN TEMP: 350F BAKE. TIME: 35 to 40 min. *
In the top of a double boiler over simmering (do not boil) water,
stir 5 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate and 4 tsp. solid vegetable
shortening until melted.
CAKE: 1. In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stir
chocolate, oil, salt and coffee until melted.
2. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl.
3. Add sugar, egg, cream, baking soda, vanilla, and vinegar. Beat
with electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
4. Add flour. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes. Occasionally scrape sides of
bowl with a rubber spatula.
5. Stir in 1/2 cup of the walnuts.
6. Pour cake batter into prepared pan and set in lower third of oven.
7. Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake begins to pull
from sides of pan.
8. Cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and set on
rack over piece of waxed paper.
9. Slowly pour glaze over cake so it flows over top and sides in an
even layer. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
* TIP: To prepare cake pan, line bottom of an 8-inch cake pan, with
removable bottom, with waxed paper. Grease paper and pan sides
lightly with solid vegetable shortening and dust with flour.
Recipe makes 1 8-inch cake that serves 8 to 10.
Nutritional Information: Calories:....351 Protein....6.2 g
Fat....25.2 g Sodium....151 mg