Breakfast Biscotti - Martha Stewart Living
Finely grated lemon zest
Eggs, lightly beaten
Whole shelled hazelnuts
- (about 3/4 C)
1. Heat oven to 325'. Lightly oil and flour a large baking sheet or line it
with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, lemon zest,
baking powder, and salt until well blended.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 C water, the eggs, and the vanilla
and stir into the flour mixture; the dough will be sticky. Stir in
hazelnuts and raisins.
4. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. On a heavily floured work
surface, shape each portion into a log about 13 inches long by 2 inches
wide. Place the logs 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake
until logs are firm and golden brown on the bottom, about 45 minutes.
Remove logs from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack for at least 30
5. With a clean serrated knife, cut each log into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal
slices. Place the slices in a single layer on a clean baking sheet (you'll
probably need to use 2 baking sheets). Bake until tops of biscotti are
golden brown, about 15 minutes. Turn biscotti over and bake until golden
brown and very dry, about 15 minutes more. Cool the biscotti completely on
a wire rack before serving. Store in an air- tight container.
Martha Stewart Living/October/94 Scanned & edited by Di Pahl & <gg>