Chocococonut Cake Roll
Cold whipping cream
Red food color (optional)
MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut
Chopped maraschino cherries
- (well drained)
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Line 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan with
foil; generously grease foil.
2. In large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually
add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. In
small mixer bowl, on medium speed of electric mixer, beat egg yolks
and vanilla 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated
sugar; continue beating 2 additional minutes.
3. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt;
add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating on low speed
just until batter is smooth. Gradually fold chocolate mixture into
beaten egg whites until well blended.
4. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or
until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Immediately
loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto clean towel sprinkled with
powdered sugar. Carefully peel off foil. Immediately roll cake and
towel together starting from narrow end; place on wire rack to cool
5. Prepare CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING. Carefully unroll cake; remove
towel. Spread cake with filling; reroll cake. Refrigerate several
hours. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top just before serving. Cover;
refrigerate leftover cake roll. 8 to 10 servings.
CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING: In small bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered
sugar and food color, if desired, until stiff. Fold in coconut and
Drizzle cake roll with COCOA GLAZE (recipe follows); garnish with
2 tablespoons butter or margarine 2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa 2
tablespoons water 1 cup powdered sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter; add cocoa and water,
stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Do not boil.
2. Remove from heat; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla,
beating with whisk until smooth. Add additional water, 1/2 teaspoon
at a time, until desired consistency. About 3/4 cup glaze.
Copyright 1995 Hershey Foods Corporation. Recipe may be reprinted
courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens.
Meal-Master format courtesy of Karen Mintzias.