Mixture of 1/4 cup each
-flour and granulated sugar
Pitted dates (not chopped)
-finely chopped (1 1/4 c)
Pinch of salt
Plus 2 tb granulated sugar
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Walnut or pecan halves
1. Grease 2 cookie sheets. Dust with the flour-sugar mixture and
tap off excess.
2. FILLING: Stirring constantly, cook dates, water and sugar in a
small, heavy, preferably nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat 10
minutes or until a thick paste. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon orange extract.
Refrigerate until cold.
3. Heat oven to 375F.
4 COOKIES: Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Beat 1/2 cup sugar,
the eggs and orange extract in a medium-size bowl with an electric
mixer until thick and pale. With mixer on low speed, gradually add
flour mixture. Beat just until blended.
5. Using a small rubber spatula, scrape out rounded measuring
teaspoonfuls dough 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
Sprinkle dough with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until cookies are a pale gold. Remove to
wire racks to cool.
7. Spread flat side of each cookie with 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls date
mixture, mounding it slightly in center. Spread melted chocolate
over date mixture, working from edge to the center, until filling is
completely covered. Top each with a nut half before chocolate sets.
8. Refrigerate until chocolate sets. Store airtight with waxed paper
between layers in refrigerator.
Per cookie: 87 cal, 1 g pro, 15 g car, 3 g fat, 11 mg chol, 21 mg