Butter or margarine
Semisweet chocolate pieces
Pecans or walnuts,
1. Line a 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1" jellyroll pan with foil; lightly butter foil.
2. In medium size heavy saucepan, combine butter and sugar, over medium heat, stir until mixture starts to boil.
3. Simmer over low heat, covered, 3 minutes.
4. Remove cover; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, to 290F on candy thermometer, or until a little dropped into very cold water separates into threads that are hard but not brittle.
5. Remove from heat; quickly stir in soda. Pour onto preparaed pan.
6. Sprinkle with semisweet chocolate pieces; let stand a few minutes to melt chocolate.
7. With spatula, spread chocolate over entire surface; sprinkle with nuts.
8. Refrigerate until firm - about 2 hours.
9. Peel off foil; break candy into large pieces. Makes 1 lb.
From McCalls Cookery No. 13