Coconut Meringue Drops
Author/Submitted by: Iris Niswander AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio, USA
whole unblanched almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 150 C . In large bowl use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
2. Gradually beat in sugar. Add vanilla.
3. With a rubber spatula gently fold in coconut.
4. Drop by rounded tspfuls onto greased, floured cookie sheets. Press an almond in center of each cookie.
5. Bake at 150 C for 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Remove to racks to cool.
Coconut and almonds give this cookie a distinctive flavor.
It is a lot of work to beat the egg whites enough without an electric mixer. For me the almonds are required. This cookie must be handled a little more carefully than most as it forms a white shell which causes it to be slightly delicate.
Difficulty : Easy.
Precision : Approximate measurement OK.