Crisp Oatmeal Cookies
Author/Submitted by: Blue Ribbon Cookies ISBN 0-312-01739-1
1. Cream together the shortening and sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
2. Sift together the flour, soda, and salt, then stir it into the creamed
3. Stir in the oatmeal, 1/2 cup a time, mixing thoroughly after each
addition. Add the nuts after the last addition of oatmeal.
4. Divide the dough in half and roll out each portion into a long log
about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap and chill each log for several hours in
5. Slice the dough into disks, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and place on a
greased baking sheet. Be sure to leave room for the cookies to spread as
6. Bake in a pre-heated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly
browned. Remove from the sheet to cool.
You'll get 4-5 dozen cookies depending on how thick you slice
This recipe was entered in the Polk County fair by Susan Peterson,
St. Croix Falls, WI