Dark and Dense Chocolate Mousse
1. Melt butter; stir in cocoa until smooth; cool.
2. Whip cream in chilled steel or glass bowl until stiff; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with 1/2 c 10x sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in cognac and coffee. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining 10x sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold cocoa mixture (#1) into egg yolk mix (#3). *Gently* fold in egg whites (#4). *Gently* fold in whipped cream (#2).
6. Spoon into serving bowl. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from 'fridge' about 30 minutes before serving.
Source: unknown. It has been too many years since I ran across this in some newspaper (1983, I think--Durham Morning Herald?) It makes the darkest, richest chocolate mousse I've ever encountered. Posted by Brian Groover