Frozen Christmas Plum Pudding
Author/Submitted by: Graham Tongs University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, A
Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt
mixed dried fruits,
grated orange rind
brandy or masala
vanilla ice cream,
slightly softened bu
1. Combine fruit, spice, orange rind, cocoa and brandy in a large saucepan. Over medium heat, bring almost to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Cool, stirring occasionally.
3. Mix gelatine and boiling water; simmer in a small pan for a few seconds, until evenly melted. Blend into fruit, chill.
4. Fold the fruit into the softened ice cream, blending evenly.
5. Pack into foil lined bowl, cover with foil and freeze overnight or longer.
6. To serve, unmould onto a serving plate, cut into wedges and serve with cinnamon-flavoured whipped cream.
We here in the Southern Hemisphere have a summer Christmas so we have adapted some of the more traditional festive fare to local conditions. Here is one example. It is very easy, and it can be made up to a week ahead of using.
The original recipe called for the use of a microwave to do the heating and cooking. This works well for melting the gelatine but is a bit of a nuisance otherwise.
Difficulty : easy to moderate (timing matters).
Precision : approximate measurement OK.