Gingermolasses Skillet Cake
Coarsely ground pepper
Dark brown sugar, packed
+ 2T unsulphered molasses
Heavy cream, chilled
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, blend together the flour,
baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice
2. In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of the brown sugar, 6
tablespoons of the butter and 2/3 cup of the molasses. Stir over
moderate heat until melted and well combined. Stir in the milk and
vanilla and set aside.
3. Place the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and
2 tablespoons molasses in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Place the
skillet in the oven to melt the butter and sugar and heat the
skillet. Stir to combine.
4. Stir the brown sugar and milk mixture into the dry ingredients.
Beat with a spoon just until smooth. Pour the batter into the
skillet. Sprinkle the pine nuts on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes,
until a tester inserted in the center o the cake comes out clean.
5. Beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add the sour cream
and continue beating until stiff. Serve the cake warm from the
skillet. Pass the whipped cream separately.