Helen's Carrot Cake
Author/Submitted by: Gary L. Scott Tektronix, Inc, Beaverton Oregon, USA
carrots," 225 g grated
strawberry, apricot or raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 175 C . Cream together egg yolks and 200 g of the sugar until the yolk color lightens. Stir in carrots, nuts, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and oil.
2. Mix together hot water and soda and stir into flour mixture.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy.
4. Fold egg white mixture into flour mixture.
5. Turn mixture into a greased 33x22-cm pan lined with greased wax paper and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Cool.
6. Slice in half horizontally, to form two layers.
7. Make the cream cheese filling: soften the cream cheese and beat in the sugar, mixing gradually, until the filling is smooth and fluffy. A food processor works well for this.
8. Cover bottom layer with cream cheese filling, then cover cream cheese layer with jam. Place the top layer of the cake carefully on top of the jam.
9. Make the frosting: beat the whipping cream until slightly stiff, then add the sugar and beat the mixture to stiff peaks. Frost the entire cake with whipped cream.
I got this recipe originally from The Oregonian in Portland, Oregon.
Difficulty : easy to moderate.
Precision : measure the ingredients.