Jerry's Chocolate Ice Cream
Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt
cup unsweetened cocoa pwdr
cup whipping cream
tsp vanilla extract
1. Melt the unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Gradually whisk in the cocoa and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. (The chocolate may "seize" or clump together. Don't worry, the milk will dissolve it.) Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, and heat until completely blended. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and vanilla and whisk to blend.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 2 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
4. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
Makes 1 quart.
CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP: Add 3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips after the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
CHOCOLATE MINT: Whisk 1 teaspoon peppermint extract into the mixture just before transferring it to the ice cream maker.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER: Just before transferring the mixture to the ice cream maker, pour about 1 cup of it into a separate bowl. Add 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter and whisk until completely blended. Return to the remaining mixture and blend.
CHOCOLATE BANANA: Mash 2 overripe bananas and the juice of one lemon together in a bowl, then whisk until smooth. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the banana mixture, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
CHOCOLATE FUDGE PECAN: After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add 3/4 cup pecan halves, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready. After it is ready, remove the dasher and fold in 1 cup fudge sauce (cold) into the ice cream with a spatula.
CHOCOLATE REESE'S CUP: Chop 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter cups, place into bowl and refrigerate. After ice cream stiffens, add the candy, then continue freezing until the ice cream is done.
Source: Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
~End Recipe Export-
* QMPro 1.0 90-8356 * New Jersey, The Garden State.
~-- WM v3.10/92-0413 * Origin: (1:107/614) =========================================================================== BBS: DomTech OS/2 Date: 11-23-93 (21:51) Number: 148 From: BILL BIRNER Refer#: NONE To: CHUCK POEHL Recvd: NO Subj: Need Florida Info Conf: (6) Cooking