Author/Submitted by: Seattle Times
dark brown sugar
1. Grind the almonds until almost a powder in a food processor. Set
2. In the large bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter until creamy.
Add the brown sugar and beat until completely blended, about 1 minute.
Beat in the egg, egg yolk and almond extract.
3. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Slowly add to the
creamed mixture in 3 additions, beating well after each addition, until
completely blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
in the almonds and lemon peel by hand. The dough will feel sticky; let
stand 10 minutes before using.
4. Shape the dough into balls that are slightly smaller than 1 inch, as
this dough will spread. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Make an
indentation in the center of each with your thumb and fill with about 1/4
teaspoon of the cherry jam.
5. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 12 minutes. Let cool a few
before removing to wire racks.
The cookies can be frozen with or without the jelly filling.