Mocha Spice Roll Cake
Ground cloves or - to taste
MOCHA CREAM FILLING/FROSTING
Superfine sugar + to taste
Source: The Uncommon Gourmet - Adjusted by Suzy
CAKE ROLL: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10x15-inch jelly
Line the pan with wax paper and grease the paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar
together until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
3. Sift the flour with the salt, baking powder, and spices. Add the
dry ingredient to the batter.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and gently
fold them into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared jelly roll pan. Bake for 20
Remove from the oven and turn the cake over onto a clean linen
towel that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar. Lift off the
pan and let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Peel off the wax paper
the cake. Carefully roll the cake with the towel, jelly roll
and let the cake remain in this position on a rack for 20-30
while it cools completely.
6. When the cake is cooled, unroll to fill (IMPORTANT* If the cake is
even slightly warm, the whipped cream filling will weep.) Spoon a
generous amount of the mocha cream onto the inside of the cake,
smoothing it to within 1-inch of all the edges.
7. Roll the cake up to form a log. Place it seam side down on a
Spread the remainder of the mocha cream over the roll, frosting it
evenly. Run the tines of a fork along the top of the cake roll to
create decorative ridges resembling the bark of a tree.
the cake roll until serving time. (If you choose to freeze the
dessert, wrap it loosely in saran wrap. Defrost 2 hours in the
prior to serving.)
MOCHA CREAM FILLING AND FROSTING: Cream to fill & frost one cake
================ 1. In a small saucepan, warm 1/2 pt. of the heavy
cream with the
instant coffee just enough to dissolve the granules. Remove from
the heat and chill well.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip all of the cream, sugar
and cocoa until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.
From the recipe files of Suzy@gannett.infi.net