Mrs. Davis' Apple Cake
Author/Submitted by: The New York Times Large Print Cookbook/J Hewitt
1. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add
butter and egg. Knead until dough is firm and shapes easily into a
ball. Wrap in wax paper; refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, peel apples and cut into small pieces. Add sugar, lemon
juice, raisins and cinnamon and let mixture steep until dough is
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Divide the dough into thirds.
Roll out 1/3 of dough and line bottom of form. Roll out another 1/3
of dough and line inside of form halfway to top, pressing along bottom
rim to seal bottom and sides.
5. Drain fruit mixture and pour into pastry-lined pan. Roll out
remaining dough and use a pastry cutter to make long strips. Place
strips crisscross on top of filling. Bake until golden brown, 45 to
Formatted by Carole Walberg