Peppermint Petits Fours
Frozen pound cake
Cream of tartar
Red food coloring
Crushed peppermint candies
Fresh strawberry slices
1. Trim crusts from pound cake. Cut cake lengthwise into 4 layers.
Spread 1 layer with 1/2 of the preserves. Top with second layer.
Repeat to make 2 double layers. Cust each into eight 2" squares (16
total). Set aside.
2. Combine granulated sugar, water and cream of tartar in 3-quart
casserole. Microwave at High for 5 to 7 minutes, or until mixture
3. Insert microwave candy thermometer. Microwave at High for 7 to 11
minutes, or until mixture reaches 226F. Let stand on counter about 1
to 1 1/4 hours, or until colled to 110F. (Do not stir or cool over
4. Add powdered sugar, peppermint extract and food coloring. Beat at
medium speed of electric mixer until smooth.
5. Use 2 forks to dip each layers pound cake square into frosting,
coating all sides. Let excess drip off. Place on wire rack over wax
paper. Repeat, dipping each square twice.
6. Decorate with crushed peppermint, candies, colored sugar or
strawberry slices. Let stand until set.
Source: Traditional Christmas Cooking, Crafts & Gifts, Entered in
Meal Master format by Lisa Clarke for Christmas Eve 1995