Russian Tea Balls
(2 sticks) unsalted butter,
Sifted confectioner's sugar
(3 ounces) chopped walnuts
1. Position rack in center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl combine the butter with 1/2 cup of the
confectioner's sugar; beat with an electric mixer until fluffy, about
1 minute. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla, flour, salt and walnuts
to form a stiff dough.
3. Using about 2 teaspoons of dough for each cookie, shape half the
dough by rolling between hands. Place about 1 1/2 inches apart on an
ungreased baking sheet and bake about 12 minutes, until just pale
golden on the bottom.
4. Meanwhile, sift 1/2 cup of the remaining confectioner's sugar into
a 13 by-9-inch pan. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, use
a spatula to transfer them to the sugar, tossing them around to coat;
let the cookies cool completely in the sugar and then sift 1/4 cup
more sugar over them to coat.
5. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, using a cool baking sheet
to bake them and the remaining 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar, divided
as before, to coat.
Makes 4 to 5 dozen