Scrumptious Caramel Bars
Author/Submitted by: Jo Anne Merrill
packed brown sugar
1. In mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, salt, soda, brown sugar and
oats. Cut in margarine with pastry blender until fine particles are
formed. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture.
2. Press remaining mixture into bottom only of greased 8-inch square
baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
3. In top of double boiler combine caramels and cream. Cook over
boiling water until caramels are melted. Blend in 2 tablespoons flour.
4. Spread caramel mixture carefully over baked mixture. Sprinkle with
chocolate pieces, then with reserved crumbs.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until delicately browned.
Cool for a few minutes before cutting into 24 bars.