Semifreddo Al Caffe
Chocolate Sheet Cake
-(separate recipe follows)
Instant espresso mixed WITH
Coffee Syrup (separate
Chocolate Sauce (separate
Cocoa powder for dusting
1. Make chocolate sheet cake as directed (see separate recipe).
2. Place egg yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until
they turn pale. Gradually add sugar; beat until fluffy. Slowly add
liqueur and beat again until fluffy.
3. Place mixing bowl over a pan of barely simnmering water. Do not let
water touch bottom of bowl. Whisk constantly until fluffy, thick, and
hot, 8 to 10 minutes. Add espresso mixture. Remove bowl from heat;
beat on medium speed until cool, about 10 minutes.
4. Whip cream in a chilled bowl until it holds soft peaks. Add a
quarter of it to egg-espresso mixture and whisk thoroughly. Fold in
remainder of whipped cream. Keep semifreddo mixture cold in
refrigerator or over a bowl of ice water.
5. Cut a 4-by-10-inch strip of chocolate sheet cake. Fit into bottom
of a 5 1/2-by-10 1/2-by-3-inch loaf pan and soak well with a third of
the coffee syrup. Spoon a third of the semifreddo mixture over cake.
6. Cut remaining cake into two 5 1/2-by-10-inch strips. Continue
layering as in step 5, ending with semifreddo mixture. Cover with
plastic wrap and freeze overnight. When ready to serve, thaw in
refrigerator until slightly softened, 10 to 20 minutes.
7. Using an ice-cream scoop, place 1 to 2 scoops of semifreddo on each
plate. Pour chocolate sauce over top, dust with cocoa, if desired, and