Southern Fried Chocolate Pies
Author/Submitted by: Jo Anne Merrill
Pies & Pastries
* see note
* Use peanut or safflower oil or solid vegetable shortening for frying.
1. For crust: sift flour and salt together; cut in the shortening with a
pastry blender or 2 knifes, until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
2. Add ice water a little at a time while tossing with a fork, until dough
holds together. Do not get too moist.
3. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into circles about five inches in
4. Mix cocoa powder with the sugar. Place 2-3 tablespoons of this mixture
onto one half of the circle and place 3 very thin slices of cold margarine
on top. Fold opposite side over mixture and seal with a fork dipped in
5. Pour oil to a depth of about 1/2 inch in a heavy skillet. Heat over
medium-high heat until very hot. Place pies in a single layer in oil and
fry, turning to brown each side. An iron skillet works best.
Serve hot, warm, or cold.