Spiced Nut Cookies
Butter -- softened
Unblanched whole hazelnuts
Walnuts -- coarsely chopped
Sugar -- for sprinkling
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. In a
medium bowl stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and
allspice to blend well.
2. In a large bowl beat butter with the 1 cup sugar until well
combined. Blend in vanilla. Separate 1 of the eggs, reserving the
3. To butter mixture add the egg yolk, then the remaining whole eggs,
one at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.
4. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing until smooth
and well blended. Divide dough in half and wrap each portion in
plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour). Meanwhile, mix
hazelnuts, walnuts, and pine nuts.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll
out each portion of dough to an 8- by 12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle
half of the nuts over each portion. Starting with a long side of each
rectangle, roll dough to make a compact roll; pinch edge and ends to
seal. Place, sealed side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Beat the reserved egg white until slightly bubbly and brush
generously over each roll. Sprinkle rolls lightly with sugar.
7. Bake until golden brown (35 to 40 minutes). Remove from oven and
allow rolls to cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes.
8. Transfer rolls to a board and, using a serrated knife, slice each
loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices flat on baking
sheets and bake them again in 350 degrees oven until crisply toasted
(15 to 20 minutes). Cool on racks.
Recipe By : the California Culinary Academy