T.m.'s Gingerbread Cookies
Author/Submitted by: Jo Anne Merrill
light brown sugar,
1. Sift flour with baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat margarine, sugar and egg at
medium speed until light and fluffy. At low speed, beat in molasses until
3. Gradually add flour, beating until well-combined and smooth. Form
dough into a ball, wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight or at least 8
4. Divide dough into 4 parts and work with one part at a time,
refrigerating the rest.
5. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use
small gingerbread cutters or other cookie cutters about 2-1/2 inches
around to cut out cookies. Use spatula to place cookies on lightly greased
cookie sheets. Very gently, press small bits of dried fruit on dough to
6. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until
browned. Do not overcook. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool. Continue
with rest of cookie dough in same manner, greasing cookie sheet each time.
Yield: About 30-36 cookies.
This is a favorite of Teresa Mari Merrill of Redding, California.
She helps her daddy cut out the cookies with a small