Author/Submitted by: Jo Anne Merrill
Pies & Pastries
1. Sift the 1-1/3 cup flour with the salt into a large mixing bowl.
Cut in the solid margarine or butter with pastry blender until mixture is
the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle 4-5 tablespoons water, a little at a time, over the flour
while stirring with a fork, until mixture is just moist enough to hold
3. Form into a square and flatten to 1/2 inch. Roll out on floured
surface to 12 inch square. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Toss sliced apples with 1 tablespoon of flour. Place slices down
center third of dough. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over apples.
5. Fold up about 1/2 inch at each end. Fold sides over apples,
leaving an inch of apples showing down center. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon
sugar and sliced almonds.
6. Bake in preheated 450-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until
7. Spread immediately with preserves. If preferred, omit the
preserves and frost with a thin glaze made of powdered sugar thinned with
milk and vanilla or orange extract.