Cherry Cobbler Country Cooking
Fresh sour cherries, pitted
Unsifted all-purpose flour
Light brown sugar
Butter, cut into chunks
Egg yolk beaten with 1 t
1. Heat oven to 375'F. Grease 2-quart shallow round baking dish.
2. In medium-size bowl, toss cherries with granulated sugar,
cornstarch, and nutmeg. Turn cherry mixture into baking dish.
3. In medium-size bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and baking
powder. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour
mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center
of the mixture.
4. In 1-cup measuring cup, beat milk and egg. Pour into flour
mixture. With fork, mix until well combined.
5. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead a few times,
then pat into a round to fit top of baking dish. Cut 3 slits in dough
round and place over cherries in dish. If desired, brush the top with
beaten egg-yoik mixture.
6. Bake cobbler 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden and cherry
filling bubbles in center. Serve warm.