White Sauce Variations - Information
* Caper Sauce: Add 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped capers and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to white sauce. Serve with fish.
* Cheese Sauce: Add 1/2 to 1 cup chopped or grated American cheese and a dash of Worcestershire sauce or paprika (optional) to white sauce. Stir over hot, not boiling, water until cheese is melted. Serve with fish, eggs, macaroni, or rice.
* Cheese Olive Sauce: Prepare think white sauce and omit salt. Add 1/2 to 1 cup chopped or grated American cheese and 1/2 cup stuffed olives to white sauce. Stir over hot, not boiling, water until cheese is melted. Serve with macaroni, rice, or vegetables.
* Cheese Tomato Sauce: Use 1/2 cup tomato juice or strained tomatoes and 1/2 cup milk in preparing medium sauce. Add 1/4 cup grated or finely cut American cheese to hot sauce. Stir until melted. Serve over cauliflower.
* Crabmeat Sauce: Remove bony particles from crabmeat and add 1/2 to 1 cup flaked canned crabmeat to seasoned medium white sauce. Flavor with 1 tablespoon dry sherry wine if desired.
* Cream Onion or Celery Sauce: Saute 1/4 cup finely chopped onion or celery in 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Add to 1 cup medium white sauce.
* Creole Sauce: Use tomato juice or strained tomatoes for the liquid. Saute minced onion, chopped green pepper, and minced celery in the butter before flour is added.
* Curry Sauce: Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry powder with dry ingredients. Serve with chicken, lamb, rice, or fish.
* Dill Sauce: Add 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill to 1 cup hot sauce, seasoned medium white sauce.
* Egg Sauce: Add 2 chopped hard-cooked eggs to white sauce, additional salt, and a dash of paprika. Serve with fish.
* Goldenrod Sauce: Add 2 chopped hard-cooked egg whites to 1 cup seasoned medium white sauce. Pour over fish and sprinkle with chopped hard-cooked egg yolks.
* Green Pea Sauce: Add 1/2 cup hot cooked or canned peas and 1 tablespoon chopped pimento to hot medium white sauce. Serve with omelets or salmon or tuna loaf.
* Horseradish Sauce: Add 2 to 4 tablespoons prepared drained horseradish, and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard to white sauce. Serve with boiled beef or corned beef.
* Lobster or Shrimp Sauce: Add 1/2 to 1 cup canned or cooked lobster meat or shrimp, cut into small pieces to seasoned medium white sauce. For added flavor, add a tablespoon dry white wine. Serve with omelets, baked, broiled, or poached fish.
* Milanese Sauce: Use 1/2 cup veal stock and 1/2 cup milk in preparing medium white sauce. Add 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese to the thickened sauce. Serve with veal.
* Mock Hollandaise Sauce: To 1/2 cup well seasoned white sauce, add equal amount of mayonnaise and enough lemon juice to sharpen. Serve on asparagus and other green vegetables.
* Mushroom Sauce: Add 1/2 to 1 cup sliced cooked or canned mushrooms to white sauce. Serve with chicken or vegetables.
* Mustard Sauce: Add 1 tablespoon prepared mustard to white sauce. Serve with fish or tongue.
* Oyster Sauce: Gently cook 1/2 cup small oysters in their own liquid until they plump and edges begin to curl, about 5 minutes. Add to hot medium white sauce. Serve with omelets, fish patties, and timbales.
* Paprika Sauce: Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon paprika with dry ingredients. Season with 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice, if desired. Serve with noodles, macaroni, or chicken.
* Pimento Sauce: Add 1/4 cup chopped pimento to white sauce; 1/4 cup green pepper may be added if desired. Serve with fish or vegetables.
* Asparagus Sauce: Add 1/2 cup cooked or canned asparagus, cut into small pieces, to hot medium white sauce. Serve with omelets or souffles.