Cranberry Ribbon Pie
Pies & Pastries
finely chopped almonds
white baking pieces
toasted slivered almonds
Preparation time: 40 minutes. Cooking time: 14 minutes. Chilling time:
Several hours. Yield: 8 servings.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour, 1 tablespoon of the sugar,
almonds and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Combine oil and milk; stir
into flour mixture. Press onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie
plate. Pierce crust with a fork. Bake until set 12 to 14 minutes. Cool
on a wire rack.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine cranberry sauce, cornstarch
and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook and stir until thickened and
bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in liqueur. Cool.
3. For filling, in a small saucepan melt white baking pieces over low
heat; remove from heat. In a small mixing bowl slightly beat egg and
water. Gradually stir half of the melted pieces into the egg. Add egg
mixture to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened,
about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in almond extract and let cool.
4. Combine whipping cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a
medium mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until
soft peaks form; reserve half. Fold remaining cream mixture into white
5. Spoon half of the white filling into pie shell. Reserve 1/4 cup
cranberry mixture; spread remaining cranberry mixture over filling. Top
with remaining white filling. Decorate with reserved whipped cream and
cranberry mixture. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Chill for up to 8
Chicago Tribune 12/16/93.
By "Lloyd A. Carver" <firstname.lastname@example.org> on Jan 5, 1996