Kathleen Claiborne's Pecan Pie
Author/Submitted by: Beverly Ellis
Pies & Pastries
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter 1 1/2 cups flour 2
tablespoons sugar (more if needed) 1 egg
white -- lightly beaten
4 eggs 1 1/4 cups dark corn syrup
1/4 cup unsalted butter -- melted 1 cup brown
sugar, packed 1 1/2 cups pecans -- coarsely chopped 1
teaspoon vanilla 1 cup pecan halves
1. Using butter, flour, sugar and water, make pastry according to
2. With rack in lower third of oven, preheat to 400F. Roll pastry into
10-inch pie plate, cover with waxed paper and pie weights. Reduce heat to
375F, bake 10 more minutes. Remove weights and bake 2-3 minutes more.
3. Reduce heat to 350F. Brush pie shell with egg white.
4. Mix corn syrup and brown sugar in small saucepan. Boil over medium heat
until sugar is dissolved.
5. Beat eggs, add syrup, then melted butter, chopped pecans and vanilla.
Pour into shell. Arrange pecan halves on top.
6. Bake until center is set, 40-50 minutes. Cover with foil if pie starts
By "Lloyd A. Carver" <firstname.lastname@example.org> on Jan 5, 1996